Monday, May 12, 2008

CaSEing the Catalogue

Copying a card directly from the catalogue is something I like to do often. It is one of the best resources we have...with hundreds of samples just begging to be copied! The card on the left may look familiar if you've looked through your catalogue as many times as I have! It's on page 119.

Marelle Taylor Stampin' Up! AustraliaThe card on the right is my version of it. I've taken what is essentially the same card and just switched around the colours and stamp set. I barely had to use my brain at all! What a relief that is sometimes!
The supplies for the card on the left can be found in the catalogue. Did you know that every card has a Stampin' Supplies list in the back? It starts on page 155 and tells you everything they have used to make each and every sample in the catalogue. It makes it really easy to copy the samples!
For my card, I have chosen the Berry Bliss Designer paper, which gave me my co-ordinating colours of Pretty in Pink, Close to Cocoa and Purely Pomegranate. I've used the cute cupcake from Big Bold Birthday. Here's a closer look at the Dazzling Diamonds on the icing, the flower bling and the dry-embossing with the Crop-a-dile:
Marelle Taylor Stampin' Up! AustraliaYou can dry-emboss dots using your Crop-a-dile on the setting A2. I used my Mat Pack to get them evenly spaced.
The circle is a Metal-edged tag with the centre pulled out. I stuck it on with Crystal Effects. I've used a Rhinestone brad in the centre of the flower.
For the sparkly Icing, I stamped first in Pretty in Pink, then over-stamped in Versamark. I then sprinkled on Heat-and-Stick Powder, heated it with my Embossing Tool (until it just turns shiny...be careful not to overheat!), and then sprinkle with glitter and re-heat to set the glitter.
My challenge to you is next time you need to make a card, grab that catalogue!
Here are all the other colour matches in case you want to make a card like this one.

Designer Series Paper Colour matches
Berry Bliss: Purely Pomegranate, Pretty in Pink, Close to Cocoa
Brocade Backgrounds: Always Artichoke, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, River Rock
Dashing: Old Olive, Real Red, River Rock, Very Vanilla
East Coast Prep: Real Red, Wild Wasabi, Tempting Turquoise, More Mustard
Fall Flowers: Old Olive, Really Rust, Soft Sky, Sahara Sand
Jersey Shore: Wild Wasabi, Pumpkin Pie, Brilliant Blue, Bashful Blue
Le Jardin: River Rock, So Saffron, Very Vanilla, Always Artichoke, Bashful Blue
Notebook: Soft Sky, Kraft, Very Vanilla
Outlaw: Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Really Rust, Sage Shadow, Very Vanilla
Petals & Paisleys: Certainly Celery, Rose Red, Old Olive, Pretty in Pink, Soft Sky, So Saffron, Taken with Teal
Spring Break: Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Blue Bayou, Soft Sky
Spring Fling: Certainly Celery, Sage Shadow, Pretty in Pink, So Saffron
Spring Silhouettes: Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery, Soft Sky, Very Vanilla
Wintergreen: Always Artichoke, Certainly Celery, Sage Shadow, Soft Sky

I've been working on all those questions you asked (phew! There were a lot!), and I should have some answers for you tomorrow!

Oh, one more thing....Check out this great idea for mounting the So Many Sayings set on Alana's Blog!


2 comments:

  1. Just checked out Alanas blog and how she mounted the stamps. What a fantastic idea! Love the card you copied (got my book out straight away to have a look) and loved the one you made from the 'template' - actually I like the one you did better....lol. I think I might get myself some of those dazzling diamonds - dont they just make the stamp image pop! Do you have to use the heat and stick powder with them or can you use ordinary glue?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin